Senior Backend Engineer
Our mission is to fundamentally change the way children learn about managing money.
Osper is mobile banking for 8-18s, and we've already helped tens of thousands of young people learn what it means to spend and save in the digital world. We give children the power to manage their money, and parents the confidence to let them. In 2017, we’re poised for our most exciting phase yet. We need a vision-driven senior engineer to help push us closer to achieving our mission on an even bigger scale.
We are a small team, which means you will have the opportunity to make a huge impact on the way we work as a team. You will be involved in all aspects of designing and deploying banking services for young kids, working in a truly agile and collaborative manner. Our backend software engineers are responsible for building the core of Osper, from identity verification to the APIs powering our mobile app. You will work on all the tools used for debit card management, transaction processing, customer support, fraud detection and more. The team has built a flexible platform allowing the integration of a variety of third-party services helping us release products and services in a quicker and more effective manner. We are a small team and we expect you'll have a big impact.
In terms of the current technologies, we are using Python (SQLAlchemy and Flask) and our servers are AWS (ECS, SQS, EC2, S3, RDS, SES); we use PostgreSQL and DynamoDB for our data.
Here is what we hope you'll achieve in your first few months of joining Osper:
Within your first week:
- deploy your own code to production
- demo your first small product improvement to the team
Within your first month:
- discuss an architectural change that you proposed with the team
- participate in a user testing session with an Osper family as part of designing a new feature
- give a lunchtime talk to the rest of the company about a topic you're interested in (previous topics have included: werewolves (the game), self-driving cars, jazz, game economies)
After three months:
- get live access to fix customer issues
- join the rest of our development team on the on-call rota for dealing with backend infrastructure incidents
We are looking for an experienced software engineer who cares about Osper’s mission, understands business problems, and is able to offer and deliver effective technical solutions.
We will expect you to be able to demonstrate:
- Strong coding ability (some professional Python is a benefit)
- Experience working in a team, writing readable maintainable code and participating in code review
- Architectural experience, creating maintainable services that follow the "12 factor" approach
- Understanding of the challenges faced by a small business building a high impact product
- Communication and problem solving skills
- Ideally some devops experience
- Competitive salary - £60,000 - £80,000
- Stock options
- Regular talks given by other startup CEOs
- Movie nights
- Learning budget